Monday, June 28, 2010

FREECYCLING!


"Freecycling" is simply the proccess of taking something that someone else is throwing out, and with some careful attention to detail, breathing new life into it. This particular rocking chair was a great find for me at the dump last week. Originally, it had rattan seating and back, which was all ripped. It was also missing hardware, and the varnish finish that someone had applied was peeling off. First, I removed the rattan from the seating and back frames. Next, I scraped and sanded the old finish off the chair. Once the chair was sanded and cleaned, I sprayed it using my HVLP gun. As the paint was drying, I cut out plywood templates for the seat and back, along with matching pieces of 3 inch foam. I finished the seat and back off using a metallic silver/bronze fabric, which I wrapped and fastened with my upholstery stapler. The last step was to re-assemble the parts of the chair. Result? A great looking rocking chair was rescued from the dump, and with some care, was re-invented with a slick, modern flavour. Freecycling saves space in our landfills, and can result in some fantastic decor in someone's home. Just look at the picture above: Wouldn't you like to have this rocking chair somewhere in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment